Senior Advisor, Google
- Treat your employees great and they will do great things.
- Give your work meaning.
- Remind and reconnect people with your mission.
- People remember the duty and forget the joy.
- Leader: If you’re not uncomfortable, you’re doing it wrong!
CEO, WhiteSpace at Work
- The pause has been squeezed out by the tyranny of the urgent.
- We are too busy to become less busy.
- We need more white space, a strategic pause taken between activities.
- You must decrapify your productivity.
- The thieves of productivity: Drive. Excellence. Information. Activity.
- “Beware of the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you’ll suck forever.” -Brian Wilson
Best-selling author, Founder of The Marcus Buckingham Company
- Your job is to build more teams like your best teams.
- Ask two questions each week of those you lead: (1) What are your priorities? (2) How can I help?
- Teams don’t want feedback they want attention.
Founder and Senior Pastor of Daystar Christian Centre in Nigeria
- In leadership, you don’t attract who you WANT, but rather who you are.
- Real and sustainable change in people’s lives begins with their sense of identity.
- Sometimes where you are used to isn’t what you belong to.
- Your vision is like a mirror. Can people see themselves in that future?
- If somebody hangs around you for a year, will they be different? Will they be better?
- We are the church because we go.
Advocate for Peace and Forgiveness
- We failed to love each other.
- Be thankful for the ones you have in your life.
- I will seek to understand you.
- I don’t have to compete with evil.
- There is so much freedom in letting go.
Professor, University of Pennsylvania
- GRIT is sustained passion and perseverance for especially long-term goals.
- What is deliberate practice? (1) Set a stretch goal (2) Focus 100% (3) Get Feedback (4) Reflect and refine (5) Repeat the process
- What GRIT in your life and leadership? (1) Develop your interets before training your weaknesses. (2) Know the science of deliberate practice. [Reflect. Refine. Repeat] (3) Cultivate purpose. (4) Have a growth mind-set.
- Don’t quit on a bad day, on a good day maybe, but not on a bad day. Have someone that would love you enough to remind you that.
Founder & CEO, International Justice Mission
- Nothing undermines like fear.
- Leadership begins with a dream.
- When fear enters … Love of the dream is replaced with preoccupation of self.
- Combat fears in your dreams and leadership by: (1) Relentlessly inventorying your fears. What am I really scared of? Anxious about? (2) Switch from playing defense to playing offense. (3) Forge a community of courage around you.
- You cannot lead forward while trying to take cover in a bunker.